Issues and Programs Report, January-March, 2014, 1st Quarter.
Report compiled by Bill McClement
Public Affairs Program: Asheville Area Focus,
airs on Sunday mornings at 6:00 a.m. Program Length: 20 minutes
1/5/2014———GE Aviation Training through AB-Tech. Kevin Kimrey of AB-Tech
Discusses the Community College’s role in training workers for the
Arrival of High-Tech Production for GE Aviation in Asheville and
Buncombe County. Issue addressed: Jobs, Economy
1/12/2014——-Dr. Tony Baldwin, Buncombe County Schools’ Superintendant. Policy
Decisions and notification on winter weather cancellations, delays and
Schedules. New notification policy for automated calls and text
Messages making it easier to get the word out faster. Issue addressed:
1/19/2014——–Celeste Collins, ON-TRACK Financial Education and Counseling
Service On Managing credit card debt, other credit issues for
Consumers. Issue addressed: Consumer protection.
1/26/2014——–Jerry Vehaun, Buncombe County Emergency Services Director
Discusses 2013 calls for service for ambulance, police and fire
Calls, the recent gas explosion and fire in Enka, and cold weather
Tips for keeping warm, avoiding exposure and hypothermia.
Issue addressed: Health/Safety
2/2/2014———Charlie Flynn-McIver and Scott Treadway of NC Stage. A local theatre
Group is promoting its performances, subscription sign-ups, and
Contribution to the arts in Asheville. Issue Addressed: The Arts.
2/9/2014——– No Show scheduled
2/16/2014—– Sue Ellen Morrison, Buncombe County Department of Health and
Human Services. Flu deaths on the rise in North Carolina. Efforts
To reduce cases, benefits of flu shots. Issue addressed: Health
2/23/2014—–Ben Van Camp, Asheville Buncombe Regional Sports Commission. An
Update on Sporting events lined up for the region, including basketball,
Cycling, and other events. Sports Tourism statistics. Accomplishments
For 2014, projections for 2015. Issue Addressed: Tourism
3/2/2014——Geoff Cabe, the Southern Conference. Preparation for the upcoming
2014 Southern Conference Basketball Tournament in Asheville. Events
Related to the tournament, local involvement, economic development and
Tourism statistics for the area. Issue addressed: Economic Development.
3/9/2014——John Iamarrino, Commissioner, The Southern Conference. Update on
New member schools, departure of some long-time members, status of
The Conference’s yearly basketball tournament in Asheville, expectations
And outlook. Issue addressed: Education/Athletics
3/16/2014—-Joe Bachar, Western North Carolina Aids Project. Dine out for Life
Fundraiser, update on AIDS services, medication, counseling, statistics,
Research, etc. Michelle Stinson, WNCAP Advocate tells her story of
Services she received from the organization. Anjelica Wind of Our Voice
Agency discusses statistics linking HIV/AIDS with issues of violence
Against women. Issue addressed: HIV and Aids Awareness.
3/23/2014—–John Wingerter of Council on Aging of Buncombe County and
Jaclyn Kiger of Pisgah Legal Services on a Navigator Program to
Help people sign up for Health Insurance Coverage as part of the
National Affordable Care Act. Update prior to March 31st deadline.
Issue Addressed: Health Care/Affordable Care Act.
3/30/2014—-Mike Plemmons, Council of Independent Business Owners, I-26 Connector
Project Position, dealing with city, county and state government. Building
And development projects, issues of concern for the Organization, including
Regulations and policies. Issue addressed: Small Business
Public Service Announcements: WOXL-FM places Community Events and Public
Service Announcements on its website. Participants log onto AshevilleResults.com and submit their announcements for review. Information is reviewed and posted to
Radio station website under Community listing.
Agencies listing public service or community events on radio station websites during 1st Quarter 2014
Wild for Life:Center for Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.
Asheville Larosse Club-Asheville Empire
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
SCORE, Asheville Chapter
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity
Asheville Christian Academy
Black Mountain Beautification Committee
Spread The Positive
Children and Family Resource Center (Henderson County)
Buncombe County Library, Recreation and Culture Department
The Mediation Center
Mission Children’s Hospital & Family Support Network of WNC
Girl Scouts Peaks to Piedmont
Blue Ridge Orchestra
Lupus Foundation of America, NC Chapter
St. Gerard House
ArtSpace Charter School
Cane Creek Middle School 8th grade honors symphonic band
MAHEC – Mountain Area health Education Center
Smart Start of Buncombe County
National Multiple Sclerosis Society / MS Community of WNC
Linamar NC motorcycle ride to benefit hungry kids in Buncombe County
Vance Elementary Parent Team
Haywood Jackson Volunteer Center
Other Programming of Community importance during the 1st Quarter, 2014
Traffic reports: WOXL-FM airs 5 traffic reports each weekday morning at 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. Each report is :30 in length. There are five traffic reports each week day afternoon at 4:20, 4:40, 5:05, 5:20 and 5:35.
Local News: WOXL-FM airs 90 second Newscasts each weekday morning at 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30.
School Closing and Delay Announcements: WOXL-FM broadcast twice hourly updates from 6 a.m. -7 p.m. on days involving delays or cancellations of area schools. WOXL-FM broadcast once hourly updates from 7 p.m.-6 a.m. The following is a list of weather delays in the 1st Quarter involving Buncombe County Schools, the largest public school system in the region.
DELAYS, EARLY RELEASES, MISSED DAYS
DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER
Delays, Early Releases:
Jan. 8, 2014 – 3 hr bus delay due to frigid temperatures. However all school buildings opened at their regular times to accommodate car riders and student drivers.
Jan. 16 – 2 hr delay for Erwin and Enka district, all others no buses on icy roads.
Jan. 24 – Buses – 2 hour delay. However all school buildings opened at their regular times to accommodate car riders and student drivers.
Jan. 31 – 3 hr delay – No buses on icy roads
February 10 – Early Dismissal 12:00 all ES; 12:30 HS, MS, IS
February 11 – 2 Hr delay – No buses on icy roads
March 7 – Owen District only – 2 hr delay no buses on icy roads, all other districts normal schedule with no buses on icy roads.
March 25 – 2 hr delay – no buses on icy roads
March 26 – 3 hr delay – no buses on icy roads
1. Jan. 3, 2014 – AL – Snow (OTWD on June 12 moved to May 26, the AL day that was on May 26 is moved to Jan 3, students will make this day up on June 9)
2. Jan. 6, 2014- OTWD – Snow/Ice (June 10 OTWD used)
3. Jan. 7, 2014 – OTWD – Frigid temperatures, snow/ice (below zero temperatures) (March 21 OTWD used)
4. Jan. 22 – Snow-OTWD (Feb. 21 OTWD used)
5. Jan. 28 – Snow/Ice-No School, this day will not be made up. This will be an OTWD for Teachers. Teacher Assistants can report to work and be paid or they can talk to their supervisors and arrange to make up this day. Therefore, the teacher assistants that do not report to work do not have to fill out an AESOP if they plan on making this day up. They can choose to use AL if they want too.)
6. Jan. 29 – Snow/Ice – No School – AL (April 18 used)
7. Jan. 30 – Snow/Ice – No School – OTWD (Teacher Assistants do not report to work) (June 11 used)
8. Feb. 12 – Snow Storm – No School – No Day for 10 month employees, 11 & 12 month employees can make this day up or use leave time. (Sat. Feb. 22 make up day)
9. Feb. 13 – Snow Storm – No School – No Day for 10 month employees. 11 & 12 month employees may use AL or make this day up. (June 12th used)
10. Feb. 14 – Snow/Ice –No School – OTWD, teacher assistants do not report to work. All other employees report to work at 10:00 am. (May 26 used)
11. March 13 – Snow/Ice – No School OTWD (Teacher assistants may report to work or use AL)
The Following is a list of Promotions in the 1st Quarter of 2014. for WOXL-FM. Several of these feature involvement by several Asheville Radio Group Stations:
1. LEAF Spring Festival – March 24th thru March 31st – Supported LEAF Spring 2014 Festival and deadline for discounted ticket prices and allowed listeners to register to win tickets at Mix965Asheville.com through a homepage feature that had an inside page with festival information including a link to purchase tickets. Listeners encouraged to register with on-air promos as well as inclusion in Concert Calendar.
2. Asheville Half Marathon – March 12th thru April 13th – ran a commercial schedule including a web graphic w/ link on the homepage of mix965asheville.com that led to the event registration page. Were also included in e-blast. Web presence and live liners/recorded promos will run again the week of the race (6/2 thru 6/7)
Non-Paid Commercial Schedules for Organizations in the area. The following is a list of Events/Causes/Organizations receiving free air time.
Here is the list of “in kind” and/or no charge spots for 1st Quarter 2014:
United Way of Asheville – Campaign w/ Paramount Kia – ALL Stations – 28 spots/wk – :60’s – 6a-8p – 9/5/13-2/2/14
United Way of Asheville – NC 211 – ALL Stations – 14 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midnight – 2/17/14-3/31/14
Geico Insurance – Free the Children – ALL Stations – 5 spots/wk – :30’s – 5a-midnight – 1/7/14-1/26/14
Brian Biro Enterprises – Lessons in Leadership – ALL Stations – 10 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midngiht – 1/18/14-1/28/14
AVL Area Chamber of Commerce – Chamber Restaurant Week – ALL Stations – 21 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-midnight – 1/18/14-1/27/14
Eblen Charities – Heating Assistance – ALL Stations – 63 spots/wk – :60’s – 12a-midnight – 2/3/14-3/2/14
Eblen Charities – Leading Through Change – ALL Stations – 56 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a-midnight – 2/24/14-3/12/14
Asheville Half Marathon – 2014 Race – WOXL-HD2,WOXL, WTMT – 56 spots/wk – :30’s – 12a-midnight – 3/12/14-3/24/14
Pisgah Legal Services – Affordable Health Care – ALL Stations – 35 spots/wk – :15’s – 12a-midnight – 3/25/14-3/31/14
BMW of Asheville – March of Dimes – WOXL- 17 spots/wk – :30’s – 6a-9p – 3/28/14-4/25/14
Habitat Area for Humanity – Habitat Manna In Kind – WOXL, WOXL-HD2 – 30 spots/wk – 6a-midnight – 3/31/14-4/5/14
Other Station appearances and involvement by WOXL-FM during the 1st Quarter of 2014
1 – 31st Relay for Life – website presence and liners encouraging walkers to form teams
1 to April 13th – Asheville Half Marathon – website presence for signups
1st to May 3 – Mad Mountain Mud Run Festival – website presence for signups